"Ma faama!" means "Long time, no see!" in Bomu. It sure has been awhile. In the last three months, I left site for our training center, Tubaniso, for two weeks for our in-service training. Maimouna, my homologue came for a week and we really did nothing, to be quite honest. From there I went back to San and then on to a 3-day hike in Dogon country (3 hours north of San, with really beautiful cliffs, photos to come). We spent Christmas evening in another volunteer's village. Her friends put on a play for us in Bambara (so I didn't even pretend to pay attention, but it was the thought that counted). From there I went back to San and then over to Segou (another regional capitol) for New Year's. The bus ride took forever, so I ended up spending less than 24 hours there. Not really worth the travel, but it was good to see everyone. I finally got back to site and got back to work! It feels good to be doing something.
I've abandoned my hopes for my water tower project because it seems that World Vision is going to pay for it (and they well should, they spent 60,000,000 cfa on the tower and are now begrudgingly willing to pay to fix it). I have decided that for the time being, I am not going to be doing any funded projects in Fangasso. My villagers are far too dependent on foreign aid, and I worry for the day that World Vision leaves (2013) and when there are no more volunteers (likely within 3-5 years), and they are left on their own with no outside help and no knowledge of how to raise their own funds for village improvement projects. So for now I am working on free projects that will help the community see that they can help themselves instead of waiting for someone else to help them. Thus far, we've done two health activities, soap-making and mosquito repellent making. Both were successful (although sometime soon I will write another post about the soap-making; it involves burning the skin off my hands); people were interested in learning about how to make the products and in receiving the finished product, but I am worried that no one will ever take the initiative to make them on their own.
I have also done five animations (lessons) on malaria at the middle school, teaching the kids the symptoms and treatments of malaria, and, most importantly, ways to prevent it. THere is a tree that grows everywhere in Mali called the neem tree, whose leaves are a natural mosquito repellent (you mis them with shea butter to make a cream that you can use like any Western product; you can also burn the leaves). One student was interested in making it, so I know I'll be doing another animation once I get back to site.
Other than that, I just got back from SENEGAL! It was fabulous. Had a few near-death experiences involving the ocean (oops), but the vacation was amazing. More on that soon. For now, I sign off to let another volunteer use the only computer at the PCV house in Bamako.
Fo maani! (See you soon!) And write letters! : )
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment